Jobs in IT – developments, trends and salaries
We can emphatically recommend that you begin your career in IT. This is a rapidly developing sector with rising demand for experts. Companies are also happy to offer above-standard compensation to capable experts. Take a look at the jobs and rewards you can expect in the IT sector.
Number of graduates in IT sectors
- The most recent statistics indicate that just under 22 thousand people were studying informatics or computer technology at university level in 2013.
- This is 5.9 % of the total number of university students.
- The number of students in IT sectors rose by more than three times in comparison to 2001 and their numbers increased by 10 % on average year-on-year.
- Between 2001 and 2013 the number of graduates increased by more than 3,400 persons –approx. 870 IT students graduated in 2001 and this number rose to over 4,300 in 2013 (4.7 % of all graduates).
- Women make up only 14% of informatics graduates, which is why they are very sought-after for their combination of hard and soft skills.
Graph 1: University students in the informatics sector in the Czech Republic
Informatics students percentage of women % of the population between 20 and 29 years
Source of data: Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports and calculations by the Czech Statistical
TOP 5 employers in IT
Demand by employers
- IT specialists are the 2nd most sought-after group by employers, immediately behind sales agents and salespersons.
- The greatest demand is for moderately experienced experts with 2-3 years experience. Graduates still represent training expenses for employers.
- Developers and analysts are most in demand, as well as consultants and traditionally also IT systems administrators.
- As well as expertise, employers also place importance on other skills such as project management, process analysis and testing.
TOP 10 most desirable skills according to ICTmanazer.cz
- Programming and application development
- Project management
- Helpdesk and technical support
- Safety and compliance with requirements
- Web development
- Database administration
- Business Intelligence and analytics
- Mobile applications and systems administration
- Big data
TOP 5 listed positions at Grafton Recruitment
- Java programmer
- C++ programmer
- SW tester
- NET developer
- C++ developer
Development of salaries in IT
A survey by the Grafton recruitment agency in the field of IT revealed a trend of rising salaries in some specific IT positions, particularly in the Capital City of Prague and in Brno.
- A Chief Technical Officer’s salary in Prague and in Brno has increased from CZK 100,000 to 120,000.
- For IT Directors the lower salary level has risen from CZK 80,000 to 90,000 in Prague and in Brno from CZK 70,000 to 80,000.
- The minimum monthly salary for System Architects has increased by approximately CZK 10,000 in Brno and in Ostrava, and by CZK 5,000 in Zlín.
- Java developers/programmers with 3-5 years have improved their salaries by several thousands nationwide.
If you are interested in working in the information technologies sector, take a look at the current jobs offered by the Grafton recruitment agency in the field of IT and telecommunications. Familiarise yourself with other career fields on the employment market, visit our career zone or contact our consultants.