Jobs in engineering – development, trends and salaries
Employees in the field of engineering are currently in short supply, which is why you can find many job vacancies and above-standard salaries in this sector. Companies are even happy to employ fresh graduates, from which they require loyalty and continuous self-education in return. Read about the jobs and rewards you can expect in the engineering sector.
Number of graduates in engineering sectors
- The most recent statistics by the Czech Statistical Office indicate that 52,100 students, of which 2/3 are currently studying for a bachelor’s degree, studied technical sciences, production and construction at university level in 2014.
- Engineers made up only 15% of the total number of university students, which is 9% less than in 2001.
- Approximately 12,300 engineers graduated from all technical universities in 2014.
- Women make up approximately 28% of students of technological sciences, and only 27% of students in the engineering sector.
- Most engineers can be found in Prague and in the South Bohemian Region, the Liberec Region and the Vysočina Region have the least engineers.
TOP 5 employers in engineering
- Škoda Auto
Demand by employers
- Engineers are sought after by employers particularly for the sectors of machine engineering (automotive manufacture) and construction.
- Experts with 3-5 years experience, with a university title and language skills (particularly English and German), are in greatest demand.
- Employers also appreciate an applicant’s willingness to commute up to 50 km.
- Over the last 7 years employers have offered a total of 1,366 technological and machine engineering positions through the Pilsen branch of Grafton Recruitment alone.
- Jobs primarily suitable for graduates in technological sectors made up 1/3 of all jobs offered by the České Budějovice branch in 2014. There was particular interest in mechanical engineers.
- The average gross starting salary of graduates in technical sectors ranges between CZK 22,000 and 27,000. An experienced engineer can expect a salary of approximately between CZK 30 and 50,000.
TOP 5 position listed by Grafton Recruitment
- Quality engineer
- Electrical engineer
- Process engineer
- Industrial designer/design engineer
- Project manager
- PLC Programmer
Development of salaries in engineering
A survey by the Grafton Recruitment Agency in the field of engineering revealed a minor revival of the growth of salaries, which had more or less stagnated or simply reflected the inflation rate since the economic crisis.
- Automation engineers earned approximately CZK 10,000 more in their starting salaries in Brno.
- Manufacturing engineers earned CZK 10,000 more on average in Jihlava and České Budějovice.
- The salaries of lean manufacturing engineers improved by approximately CZK 5 – 10,000 in Zlín, Jihlava, Liberec and Hradec Králové.
- Machine designers received a pay rise in Brno and JIhlava.
If you are interested in working in the engineering sector, take a look at the current jobs offered by the Grafton Recruitment Agency. Find out about the situation on the employment market and in other sectors and visit our career zone where you will find more tips for landing your dream job.